Monday, May 9, 2011

Jamming

So, when I was drafted to the Flat Track Furies (FTF) over 2 years ago, I never imagined that I would be a full time jammer....too easy to knock over, too gaggley, too spazy, too tall...NO WAY.

However, lesson learned. Never say never.

About a year ago, the FTF had a huge turn over. We lost most of our seasoned players to injuries, babies, and just plain life stuff. And that is when it happened, there was the expectation and my own will and desire to be better and to watch my team mates smile. I was becoming a jammer. Not just a 'now and then jammer', but an 'all the time, get your ass out there AGAIN, and jam' jammer.

I took it heart. If I was going to jam, then I was going to be the best jammer I could. I practiced jumping, juking, falling and getting up so fast, that you never knew I was down. I switched out my wheels, tightened and loosened my trucks, tried different arrangements of softer and harder wheels. Started working out on off skating days. And one more very important thing...I started trusting and believing that my Furious blockers were going to do everything in their power to keep me safe and get me through the pack.

I think it has paid off, all the extra stuff I do and my blockers do. I still strive to be better, that is just the perfectionist inside me.

We have had the most thrilling season, filled with success, tears, growth and bonding.

We are the new FURIES!!!! I guess you cant get any better than that.

Terrin Skirtz

No comments:

Post a Comment