Thursday, April 7, 2011

Have some discipline.


"Man, I don't know if I wanna hit my friends..." was the beginning of a conversation back in 2007 about this crazy idea of a roller derby league in Eugene, Oregon. 4 years later, this idea to let off some steam and exercise a couple of times a week in cute clothes has made us nationally recognized athletes and the derby heroes we admired in our chicken-scratch skating days.

Becoming a roller derby player is the most difficult thing I've ever done. It's hard to describe the amount of patience you demand of yourself as you are learning skating, hitting, jumping, yelling, strategies, when to use those strategies, the rules, and how not to get mad when someone lands a hit on you that drops you like a sack of potatoes.

My love for the Furies has been long-lived and unwavering. I am always amazed by the level of professionalism and the humble nature of my team. I believe our success lies in wanting to be the best skaters we can be for each-other. Winning doesn't matter. We celebrate a loss as much as a win when we come away knowing we played our game and brought the FURY.

I'm purchasing new skates next week. It's a sign of commitment to my team, my game, and myself. I still have a lot of derby left in this body.


2011: THE RESURGENCE OF FURY
xoxo,
Lady Lumps

No comments:

Post a Comment